St George’s Heritage & Visitor Centre
St. George’s Church, which stands uphill and opposite the Bush Hotel, is the Church of Ireland parish Church. Prior to 1698 the parish church was situated at Kiltoghert. In that year it was transferred to its present site in Carrick. It was re-built in 1829 and the interior reconstructed in the years 1910-1914. Rev. W.A. Percy who was Rector from 1869 to 1886 was grandfather of the famous song writer Percy French.
St. George’s Heritage & Visitor Centre was officially launched early 2008, which includes audio/visual functions in the centre adjacent to the church. The restored church, houses a well researched and exciting historical display of artefacts and interpretiave material depicting the twin traditions of Leitrim from ancient Gaelic roots through Plantation times up to Leitrims contribution and Sacrifice in the Great War. Here you will also get information on visiting nearby Costello Memorial Church and the Famine Memorial Graveyard & Carrick Workhouse (all within walking distance from the Bush Hotel). St. George’s Heritage & Visitor Centre is adjacent to the Church of Ireland church of the same name. It was opened in 2008 and has full audio/visual facilities. The restored church houses a well researched and exciting historical display of artefacts and interpretative material about Carrick-on-Shannon and the County Leitrim from Plantation times through to the Great War.