Leitrim Tourism would like to wish everyone at home or abroad a very Happy St Patrick’s Day. We are looking forward to seeing you here in Leitrim in 2017.
Some interesting facts about St Patrick’s day:
1. The first St Patrick’s Day Parade took place in Boston in 1737, the first St Patrick’s Day took place in New York in 1762 and the first parade to take place in Ireland was in 1931
2. St Patrick’s real name was Maewyn Succat
3. St Patrick’s Day is a Public Holiday in Ireland and in Newfoundland, Labrador and on the island of Montserrat in the Carribean
4. The world’s shortest parade takes place in Hot Springs, Arkansas and is 98 feet long while the world’s biggest parade takes place in New York starting at 11.00 am at 44th St. It marches up Fifth Ave and finishing at approx 5.00 pm at the American Irish Historical Society on East 80th St with in excess of 250,000 people take part.
5. Legend has it that St Patrick drove snakes out of Ireland – there were never any snales in Ireland, its too cold!.
6. Nine St Patrick’s Day Parades will take place in Leitrim this year starting at 12.45 pm in Carrick on Shannon followed by Keshcarrigan, Fenagh, Ballinamore, Dromahair, Manorhamilton, Ballinamore, Mohill with the last one starting in Drumkeeran at 6.30 pm
Have a great day!